[lit-ideas] Monday Twofer

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 11:25:50 -0800

Wensleydale developed an adventurous look this week.  "Ladies," she explained,
authoritatively, "I have been in touch with Nature."
"Oooh," said Cheddar.  "Nature!"
"We druids get in touch with Nature on a bi-weekly basis."
Rocky wanted to be clear, "Would that be twice a week, or once every two weeks?"
Wensleydale was impatient, "Often.  We get in touch often.  And by this method
I have learned that other birds...migrate."
"Oooh," said Cheddar.  "What's that?"
"It's where," the druid explained, "you go off to Hawaii and roam free."
Rocky wanted to know whether Rome was actually in Hawaii and if not, whether
going to only one or the other, involved cost.

"Sister Mimo will be our spokesperson.  She will present our demands to the
large being or beings, depending on belief system.  Sister Mimo?"
"Thank you, Sister Wensleydale.  I have here our written demands as agreed by
committee meeting on the night of...  quite recently...my notes aren't clear."
"Chicken scratchings," Appenzeller commented.
"Scratchings," said Cheddar.
Mimo resumed, "Item one: in re. accommodation.  We demand the return of the red
light bulb.  While its cultural associations might be thought indelicate and we
admit we did accidentally once use it to set fire to the straw, it is our
unanimous..."
"Unanimous.."
"Opinion."
"Opinion."
"Yes, thank you sister Cheddar, I'm the spokesperson, and we'll get on faster
without an echo."
"Echo."
"That red is an excellent color for revolutionary meetings.  Two."  There was a
stern look.  Cheddar remained quiet.  "In re. toast.  There is not enough.  'To
each according to her desires,' is our motto and our desires in regard to toast
are...what was the term we agreed?  Manifold?  Myriad?"
"Boundless I believe it was," Sister Mimo offered.
"'Boundless' doesn't start with an m."
"Who said it started with an m?" Rocky hoped for a line in the minutes.
"That's how I remembered it, like memory and me," Mimo responded.
"Mnemonic, that is," Appenzeller opined.
"Does the word you're trying to recall, with your mnemonic, really start with
an m?" Sister Wenslydale tried to keep the conversation headed into the current.
"I don't remember now.  Where was I?"
"Item three?"
"C."
"'C' doesn't start with an m," said Cheddar.
"In regards to the hiding of eggs as a potential bargaining chip..."
Cheddar saw an opportunity, "Chip begins with 'c.'  We might remember that..."

David Ritchie,
Portland,