[lit-ideas] Re: Missouri weather

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 03:33:30 -0600

I've been wondering how Marlena is faring.

Other than living in a veritable ice cube, I'm fine -- thanks for the
thoughts!  No snow -- just endless ice storms (24 degrees in the middle of
the night, with ice falling and thunder and lightening .... bizarre).  When
I let my Sheltie out, she romps across the yard, rolls on her back, comes in
quickly, and I cannot see where she's been -- no paw-prints, etc.  Lots of
downed limbs and trees and lines from the weight of the ice.  Sitting here I
hear loud cracks like gun shots.  But (knock on wood) still have electricity
and wood, though the tarp over the woodpile is frozen so solid it's a dig as
dig can proposition.  It's turning warmer during the days now -- which is
good -- until it goes back into the 20's at night, turning all that lovely
muddy slush into yet one more ice rink.  Have I mentioned that I loathe
winter?  That I long for Pheonix, AZ, where I grew up?  That I would kill
for the alleged tropical simulator?  My husband is strongly considering
digging out his ice-skates that he used to skate on the frozen lakes in
Minnesota where he grew up.  Last year, with the 15" of snow overnight in
the middle of March, he longed for his cross-country skis and snow-shoes.
This year it's most definitely ice-skate conditions.  The stores are sold
out of ice melt and salt.  People in surrounding areas are under a
boil-water order.  School's been out since Friday, and not sure about
tomorrow yet.  Retailers are NOT happy about the timing of this (local
weather folks are calling it, w/ both incredible originality and complete
hype, "Ice-Storm 2007").  No one is going to malls, etc., Christmas
shopping.  I'm thinking this will be a significant boon to internet sellers,
provided that UPS and USPS are able to continue to slide across the ice w/
some degree of accuracy and safety.

Hey, guys -- thanks for the opportunity to vent <g>.  (mutter mutter it
wouldn't be so bad if my fridge, dryer, and waterbed hadn't engaged in
mutiny simultaneously;  I'm distracting myself by pulling up the bedroom
carpet.  Anyone have a stroke of brilliance re. how to resuscitate
water-damaged hard -wood flooring?)

Julie Krueger
watching the lights flicker from time to time with flashlight & candles at
hand.