[lit-ideas] Re: Milton translated (as prose?)

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 18:35:07 -0800

Omar wrote

However, we read the Iliad and the Odyssey in translation, and the Mahabharata
and the Ramayana (if we do) and Virgil and probably the Beowulf and so on. Some
aspects of poetry are lost in translation but many are preserved. Epical poetry
in general lends itself to translation much more readily than lyrical poetry. I
think though the problem with Milton is not so much his language as that his
themes are a bit difficult for the modern secular reader to identify with.

True. However, I read and taught the Iliad and the Odyssey yearly for almost twenty years (although some years we didn't read both). During that time, we used perhaps three different translations, all of them in some form of loose English verse. The Lattimore translations we used when I left the course are still being used. (I've had no part in deciding such things for a very long time.)

Several things. Any intelligent teenager can read Milton's prose 'in the original.' This isn't true of things written in Homeric Greek, or in Old English. Translations of Homer, or of the Beowulf Poet, converge on 'faithfulness' and intelligibility—at least they should. These two are uneasily related to one another though, and sometimes when one is achieved the other's lost. That's no surprise. Yet when it comes to prosifying Milton, the aim seems entirely different—namely, to create a 'popular,' or up-to-date text that preserves the 'story' of Paradise Lost, while abandoning its poetic achievement to take care of itself.

So, I don't see any similarity between the aim of creating a prose Paradise Lite, and translating Homer, the Pearl Poet, or the Ramayana.

Robert Paul,
unraveling the sleeve of care,
somewhere south of Reed College

I'm going to tell you about how people's eating somebody else's apples can lead to big trouble all around. I think I'd better climb up some mountain and look important to do this, so listen up and maybe it will save your ass. If it works, this is going to be something like you never heard before. Some parts are really scary and these are marked PG.