[lit-ideas] Re: Milton translated (as prose?)

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 14:41:46 -0800 (PST)

However, we read the Iliad and the Odyssey in translation, and the Mahabharata
and the Ramayana (if we do) and Virgil and probably the Beowulf and so on. Some
aspects of poetry are lost in translation but many are preserved. Epical poetry
in general lends itself to translation much more readily than lyrical poetry. I
think though the problem with Milton is not so much his language as that his
themes are a bit difficult for the modern secular reader to identify with.

O.K.