[lit-ideas] Re: Mark Edmundson strikes again

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 08:51:55 +0200

On 20-Aug-13, at 2:48 AM, David Ritchie wrote:

The academic world is changing, no doubt about it. Many of the things Straker and I used to complain about to one another-- for example the notion that the outcomes of learning must be declared, predicted, achieved--have taken over my own small island and many islands of my ken. Meandering conversations that characterized the discursive form of inquiry and teaching we had learned are now looked upon by many as too vague, incapable of addressing the wide variety of "learning styles," outdated.

One of the first nails in the coffin of my academic career:

Once I had passed my 'prelims' and candidacy exam I posted at the door to my office a two-paragraph précis of my Ph.D. thesis proposal under the title 'What I'm up to', and invited questions, comments and discussion. One of my fellow Ph.D. candidates responded with a 'This is great - maybe we should all do something like that!' And then she paused ('sober second thought'?) and continued, 'But then we'd all just stand around talking and not get any work done.'

Chris Bruce,
still muttering to himself, in
Kiel, Germany

P.S. The only other response I got to my 'What I'm up to' posting was from another Ph.D. candidate, asking if it was some sort of political statement (critical of the department - i.e., not an offer and call for inquiry, discussion and debate at all). -B.