[lit-ideas] Re: Mark Edmundson strikes again

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 17:48:56 -0700

The academic world is changing, no doubt about it.  Many of the things Straker
and I used to complain about to one another-- for example the notion that the
outcomes of learning must be declared, predicted, achieved--have taken over my
own small island and many islands of my ken.  Meandering conversations that
characterized the discursive form of inquiry and teaching we had learned are
now looked upon by many as too vague, incapable of addressing the wide variety
of "learning styles," outdated.  Recently two things struck me while listening
to a lecture by someone younger: she repeated herself often, taking as a given
that her audience would only be paying attention some of the time, and she
described an older colleague as a "real reader," meaning that the person
learned from books.

David Ritchie,
Portland,