[lit-ideas] Re: Luther

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:22:18 +0900

On 2/19/07, Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Saw the movie last night.  I liked it.  It was done by a Lutheran organization
so it probably was a bit prejudiced.

If it was the same one I saw in the late 1950s, while I was growing up
Lutheran in Virginia, I liked it, too. The scene where Luther
confronts the emperor at the Diet of Wurms and sayd, "Here I stand, I
can do no other," burned itself into my brain along with Patrick
Henry's "Give me liberty or give me death" (Colonial Williamsburg was
just 20 minutes up the road).

Undoubtedly one of the main reasons I find wingnuts who are willing to
sacrifice habeas corpus and support pre-emptive wars for a wholly
illusory safety (ask the folks in the Baghdad neigborhood who got two
car bombs and 60 more dead just after the American patrol  moved on
down the street yesterday morning), shall we say straightforwardly,
immoral and idiotic.

John

--
John McCreery