[lit-ideas] Re: Luther

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 15:51:01 -0800

John McCreery writes:

If it was the same [film] I saw in the late 1950s, while I was growing up
Lutheran in Virginia, I liked it, too. The scene where Luther
confronts the emperor at the Diet of Wurms and sayd, "Here I stand, I
can do no other," burned itself into my brain along with Patrick
Henry's "Give me liberty or give me death" (Colonial Williamsburg was
just 20 minutes up the road).

It may be that Patrick Henry did not actually utter this resonant
phrase, although I'm sure it's burned into minds of many. I write
because last night I was leafing through this week's New Yorker, and found
these reflections on quotations by Louis Menand, of which John's reference
to Patrick Henry has reminded me.

http://www.newyorker.com/critics/books/

Robert Paul