[lit-ideas] Re: Loyalty Day

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:12:36 EDT

I think it's celebrated by dancing around a maypole with ribbons of red,
white, and blue...

Julie Krueger
man, looking at even a couple years past posts is weird....

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Loyalty Day  Date:
7/27/05 8:12:33 A.M. Central Daylight Time  From: _Ursula@xxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In that same Phil-Lit Digest where the Bobkes def  was stored, I found an
old discussion about Bush's Loyalty Day (May 1st)  proclamation in
2003.   Does this continue to be  celebrated?   How?   With enthusiasm?
Or did  it fall by the wayside except for flags on government buildings?

Here is  a short reprise of a response by Stephen Straker to Lawrence
helm....

Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 23:30:27 -0700
From: Stephen  Straker <straker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:straker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: Re: May 1st is  now... Loyalty Day?

>  Lawrence Helm wrote:
>  ... I  take your [Andreas's] current posting
>  to mean that you think  Loyalty to America a bad thing, or
>  as the Leftists (which you say  you aren't) are wont to
>  say, scary...
>
>  ... I  have difficulty imagining how a
>  society of any size could survive  without loyalty being
>  considered a virtue  ...
>
>  ... I argued that when a nation couldn't count on  its
>  young men to fight its wars, it couldn't count  on
>  surviving...
>
>  ... Loyalty to America,  according to my healthy
>  soul, is something I delight  in.

Would you care, then, to comment on the service record - and
thus  the loyalty - of the man who, now as President, has
proclaimed Loyalty  Day?

I am made uneasy by people who wrap themselves in the flag.
It  suggests to me they are small people, bullies, who,
lacking virtue, seek to  use the symbols of virtue to
intimidate those they would subdue. Loyalty Day  seems to me
Orwellian - and smacks of McCarthyism, Un-American
Activities  committees, loyalty oaths ...

Here's another example - in this case,  palpable disloyalty
to the office of president:

"There was a time when  patriotic Americans from both parties
would have denounced any president who  tried to take
political advantage of his role as commander in chief.  But
that, it seems, was another country."

see:
"Man on Horseback,"  The New York Times (6 May 2003)
by Paul  Krugman
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/06/opinion/06KRUG.html

Can you  set aside Krugman's point simply on the grounds that
he is a left-wing  columnist writing in a left-wing rag? (The
*Times* supported the Iraq  invasion but found much wanting
in the President's conduct in the months  preceding.)

Stephen Straker
<straker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  <mailto:straker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Vancouver,  B.C.

Ursula