[lit-ideas] Re: A biseleh

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:11:29 EDT

Oh my.  I had completely forgotten that days-long thread on the  spelling of
bupkes!!  It was only 2 years ago?!?!  Thanks for the  refresher.....  I
looked it up on google too and got all kinds of weird  things, and then it
dawned
that it probably *was* Yiddish.   You also  remind me that pre-accident I had
in mind to install Google desktop.   Apparently it works as well as it claims!

*Never* ignore Augustine.....Aquinas quite possibly, but never Augustine  <g>.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: A biseleh  Date:
7/27/05 8:00:20 A.M. Central Daylight Time  From: _Ursula@xxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Julie,
A repl(a)y from 2003...

I went  to google to find a definition and , as I had recently installed
Google  desktop, it informed me that I had a definition stored on my
computer.   Voila....

Ursula
Ignoring St. Augustine to fish for this...and adding  her sympathy

Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 14:36:45 -0400
From: N Miller  <nmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:nmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: Re:  bupkis? bupkes? please help!!!!

Alison: Here are the facts.

First  of all, if you really want to spell the word so that it conforms
to  the
standard (YIVO) transcription from the Yiddish, you should be  writing
'bobkes'. I was trying to help only with respect to the es/is  question but
now you know the whole truth.

Bobke is a Slavic borrowing  (e.g. Polish bobek) and means dung. It is so
defined and so spelled by  Harkavy and recently by Niborski in his marvelous
Yiddish-French dictionary.  Both lexicographers also give bobkes! (not found
in my Polish-English  dictionary) defined as 'nonsense' by Harkavy and
'balivernes' by  Niborski.

But while Yiddish borrows many words from the Slavic  (paskudnyak, khaligan,
bolshevik) it invariably (I think) forms the plural to  conform with Germanic
usage (paskudnyakes, etc.).
Yiddish would never have  bobki. And of course only those with inadequate
knowledge of the language  would form a plural with '-is'.

Yiddish, like Russian, is spelled  phonetically. All letters are always
pronounced the same. The o in bobke  always rhymes with the o in love.

I hope this doesn't come too  late.

Norman Miller