[lit-ideas] Lists of philosophers and poets

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 17:59:16 -0800

J. L.,

Bolano has a huge long list of Chilean poets in his Distant Star which I
finished this morning - longer than your list of philosophers - everyone in
Chile must be a poet.  Not everyone wants to publish so he counts
unpublished poets as well.  They belong to Poetry reading groups, clubs and
seminars and they are all happy to read their poems to you.  They read their
poems out loud and are jealous of the good poets and the handsome ones whom
the girls are attracted to.

According to the writing on the back, this novel was considered great.  I'll
have to read some reviews now to see what others thought of it.  Coming out
of a Negative/Positive consideration I was conscious of Bolano dealing with
a lot of negativity, but he does it so engagingly and entertainingly that I
forgave him.

But I haven't forgiven Alejandro Jodorowsky.  I just finished watching his
El Topo.  It is apparently considered a Mexican Cult Classic - maybe not
only Mexican, I don't know.  It was introduced back in 1970 by John Lenon
who said this was his favorite movie.  It was considered a "midnight movie,"
perhaps because it was so bizarre and outrageous that normal people wouldn't
want to be exposed to it - so it was only shown at midnight when just the
abnormal people were awake.

But times change, perhaps more people are abnormal now.  Maybe they're in
the majority.  Anyway, the movie was released on DVD last May.  I decided to
watch it last night because I am apparently in a mood for Latin American
artistry.  However after 15 or 20 minutes of it I shut it off and resolved
to smash the DVD to bits and throw it away, but then caution had me set it
aside for awhile.  Then after finishing Bolano's novel I checked Wikipedia
and read the following: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Topo   This article
outlines the entire movie.  I was encouraged that some people took it
seriously; so I watched the rest of it and then read the rest of the
Wikipedia article.

My considered opinion after watching the movie and now that I am once again
calm  is that Jodorowsky and Wieder (Bolano's serial killer) would like each
other.

Lawrence