[lit-ideas] Leftovers

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 10:08:37 -0700

We are all of us judged sooner or later.  Yesterday I learned a new measure of
man.  Two ladies of a certain age, by which I mean of course a deal older than
I, were discussing husbands in terms generally of approval.  (It was clear,
however, that the bar had been set low on account of the flawed nature of the
raw material.)  By one measure both husbands failed: they could not be induced
to eat "leftovers."  Now I'm wondering how the husbands' aversion developed.
To me it's second nature to recycle roast meat into stews and curries, to stuff
last night's veggies into a tortilla, add hot sauce and call it good.  Are
there people on this list who have a philosophical objection to leftovers?  Am
I right in thinking that the Second World War's care and thrift re. feeding may
be at the back of this...that men of the war generation associated "leftovers"
with emergency, and so viewed fresh food as an indicator of freedom from want?
I realize now...flawed being that I am...that I should have inquired at the
source, but that option is not open, so I appeal to your wisdom and knowledge.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon