[lit-ideas] Re: Leftovers

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 10:57:49 -0700

On Nov 3, 2010, at 10:25 AM, Judith Evans wrote:

> Wartime was worse, though, surely? Woolton Pie, e.g..
I had to look this up.  Doesn't sound good.  BTW. when last I was at the
Imperial War Museum, the cafe was serving wartime recipes.  I had the rabbit
pie.  Excellent...which is not an adjective I thought I'd ever apply to a
British cafe.

> I'd expect a rather younger group -- Eighties on -- to be the most
> anti-leftover.

Most of my students would be happy with Woolton pie, they being vegetarians,
vegans, piscatarians and so on.  I suppose the vegans would find the cheese
objectionable.  I'm a tad anti-them at the moment.  Had to attend a faculty
council meeting at lunchtime yesterday...stepped outside to the Thai guy's
cart...which is the only food option close to our building...found they had
persuaded him to serve only tofu on Tuesdays.  He was funny on the subject.
"Growing up in Thailand, we had tofu.  I only liked it when they put meat in
it."
"They put meat *in* the tofu."
"Oh, yes."

David Ritchie,