[lit-ideas] Re: Löb Is All You Need

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 22:58:52 EDT

Here is the list of Greek titles. Latin authors to follow.
Cheers,
JL

J L  Speranza,

The Swimming Pool Library
Estancia San Miguel, Campo.
Calle 58, No. 611
La Plata, Buenos Aires, B1900BPY
Argentina

* signifies

the volume is lacking (so far) in JLS’s “Swimming Pool  Library”

ACHILLES  (*) the romance of Leucippe and Clitophon. AELIAN Characteristicae
Animalium (*3): While I know most that has to be known  about the giraffe, I’m
still interested, volume 4 is  Varia Historia (*)  and I’d be interested to
have this as a  veritable mismatch of historical information. AENEAS. (*)  ‘The
Art of War’,  translated by the Illinois Greek Club.  Aeschines  (*) “In
Timarchus,” I’m VERY interested in having this volume, since it’s  much
discussed by Dover.  Timarchus was a prostitute and Aeschines used that
information to
spoil his  brilliant political career in Athens.  Timarchus was a friend of
Demosthenes.  Aeschylus  (*) Polyneices tries to regain Thebes  from his
brother Eteocles; both are killed.. volume 2, Oresteia (*) where  Orestes is
arraigned for matricide. AlciphPRON  * (1) I should present myself the  Erotic
Epistles of Philostratus . “Mere soft porn” in Geary’s wording – but  still
worth
having. ApollodorOS  “Bibliotheke” (*2). Must get  these, tr. Scot author of “
The Golden Bough”. Borges quotes from it in “The  House of Asterion” as an
epigraph. ApolloniOs (*)(1) “Argonautica”, with Heracles, Orpheus and Peleus
are aboard, Appian Historia Romae (* 5) Aristophanes (*)  I would be more
interested in getting the second volume Clouds, (*) Such as  it provides a good
criticism of ‘Socratic method’ – on which I was ‘trained’.  “Socrates'
"thinkery" is at the center of Clouds, which spoofs untraditional  techniques
of
education.”I do own the third volume in an earlier edition,  containing “
Lysistrata” because I wanted to see what Audrey Beardsley had  illustrated with
such
passion.  Aristotle  I only own 2 volumes: The  “Topica” and “Rhetorica” (on
the way). I should get Poetica, and “De  interpretatione”.. Arrian (*).
Apparently fascinating history Athenaeus.  “Deipnosophistes” (*) (7). The
problem with this is that it’s 7 volumes. . I thought the word  was
‘gymnosophist’.
I suppose the Athenaeum club, in Boston, Mass.,  was named after him..
Babrius Fabulaes  (*).Basil  (*).I’m interested that he was named after a
condiment.
 CaLLIMAKHOS I own the first volume, but should get his “Epigrams” (*)
Chariton  “Callirhoe” (*) a love  story.  ClemenT  (*)Demosthenes. I only own
the
volume that contains the  “Erotikon” (or Erotic Essay) and which I read
yesterday. Pretty fun. Dedicated  to his lover. The Erotikon makes mention of
people ‘of the kind’, like Ganymede,  Adonis, Herakles, and a few others – he’s
discussing ‘virtues’ like ‘andreia’  (bravery) and he goes on to discuss ‘
dismounting’ (from the chariot) – a very  noble Greek sport. I notice that what
Loeb has as ‘athletic sport’, the Greek  reads _ascesis_ which is, oh, so
much swimming-poolian.  DiO.  Historia Romae (9 vol)  Dio Chrysostom. I don’t
own
any of this.  “Historia” (12) Diogenes Vita philosophorum (2**). I must get
these. Loeb has the title as being  ‘notable’ philosophers, but I don’t think
that’s in the Greek. Dionysios I  don’t own any of them, Epiktetos (2) I
should get these Euripides (*): Medea kills her own children,. Eusebius  “
Ecclesiastical History”  Problem is that there’s little battles in
ecclesiastical
histories. It’s just  what pope succeeded the other. GaLENoS  Physikos
Dunamaton. Anthology I  must get a copy of the first volume, with the amatory
epigrams.
  I DO own volume IV. I should think The  Greek Anthology is perhaps the
greatest achievement of the Loeb, BOUKOLIKA  I own this. ElegiES –  (1) I don’t
own this but I should. EpicA  I own this in the older edition  of Hesiod. Now it
’s a new volume, IambUS The  poetry of the archaic period that the Greeks
called iambic is characterized by  scornful criticism of friend and foe and by
sexual license, which I add as a  passing note for Geary’s inspection. I don’t
own it. LyrA GRAECA I should get volume III, which includes the erotic poems
I do own the volume IV MathematicA”  (2). I don’t own them, although I have
browsed them, and they have nice  figures. Herodian “Historia Imperii” I don’t
 own this, and hardly know what Empire he is talking about. Herodotos
Historia (4) Hesiod I  own “Theogonia” and “Erga kai hemerai”,  I own “Aspis”
and
“Katalogoi  Gynaikon”. Hippocrates.  I’d like to have the one with fragments
with “Herakleitus”, Homer II  own the Iliad, (vol. 2 on the way) and will
present myself with the Odyssey  sometime soon “Homeric Hymns” I don’t own
this, but something like this was  included in a volume by Hesiod that I do
own.
Isaeus.  (http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog/L202.html) I don’t own any of
this.  Isocrates I don’t own any of this.Damascene  . St. Josephus I don’t own
this. Julian I  don’t own this.Libanius  (*) . The third volume I’m  interested
in “   Autobiography. Letters  LoNGUS “Daphnis and Choloe”  don’t  own
this. It sounds interesting being George Thornley's translation of 1657
Lucian.
Volume I includes “Hippias and the Bath”,  volume 5 includes “The Enuch”.
They sound fun. I don’t know any of these  “exhilaratingly ribald comedies”, in
Geary’s description of  them.Lysias  (*)  MANETHO.  “Aegyptiaca” (*) Having
been  recently reading about King Tut (and the English aristocrat who funded
the  expedition, I should be interested). Marcus Aurelius “Meditationes” I
must get these. For one, it’s a one-volume edition. I  wonder what’s Greek for “
meditation”.Menander  One volume is on the way.  Attic  Orators I don’t own
any of these. Nonnos “Dyonisaca” (3  *) . It  sounds interesting. I’m
certainly more of a solar person – rather than the  fertility khthonic divinity
that
Dyonisos was, but with a name like “Nonnos”  this _must_ be fascinating read.
Oppian  (http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog/L219.html) I don’t own this.
Papyri I’d  be interested in owning vol 3. of “Poetry  Pausanias,  “Hellados
Perieleseos” (6 vols.). I own volume I Attica  and Corinth  and volume _II_
(http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog/L188.html)   (Laconia, Messenia, Elis)  --
the
Baedeker of the day.. Philo (*).  Philostratus Vita Philosophorum” (*)
Philostratus SR   “Eikones”, “Ekphrases” (*)  I  will probably buy this as it’s
 one
volume and on art including descriptions of statues in stone or bronze.
Pindar “Olympian and Phytian Odes” (*), “Nemeonikai” kai “Isthmionikai” (SPL)
Plato  I only own volumes I, III, and IV.  I first approached Plato it was via
his Cratyl in the Loeb edition – my mentor  objected that I should also use
Platonis Opera Omnia  (Oxford)  (“You can’t do it without the critical
apparatus”.. Plotinus, Ennead (*7) “an orgy for the spirit” PlutarkhoS “Vitae
Parallelae” (*) Now I wouldn’t know which you’d suggest as to  own,. There’s
also
his “Moral Essays”, from the titles, I’m interested in the  volumes
containing things like Sayings of Spartans. The Ancient Customs of the
Spartans.
Polybius “Historia”  (6* ) Geary says the description of the Amazons is
particularly “engaging”.  Procopius “Historia Bellum” ’d be interested in the
volume
that mentions the  Ingvaeones, or old Angles. PtolemY “Tetrabiblos” (*) .
Geary says it’s fun (“Fancy a man who thought the  center of the universe was
the Earth”) Quintus  Smyrnaeus “Fall of Troy” (*1);I will possibly own this
very soon,  as it describes a topic that fascinates me:  the death of Achilles;
the contest for  Achilles' arms between Ajax and Odysseus SextUS “Phyrronicos”
 (*) fail to  remember what’s Greek for ‘sketch’, outline. The series is
very good. I have  worked with the first volume.  SOPHOCLES  I should own at
least  the first two volumes soon. Strabo  “Geographia” I should get  the Italy
volumes, Geary criticizes on “not providing information on what’s in  and what’
s out” –Apostolic Fathers  (*) These are Christian  Theophrastus Of the many
volumes (He has one on “Odours”), I should possibly be  interested in his “
Characters” which includes some ‘mime plays’, “which are very  accessible for
the learning of Greek”, Geary says.  ThucydideS  I: “Historia” (4*).
Xenophon I own his “Symposium” volume, but would also like to own the vol. VII
which includes “ART OF HORSEMANSHIP”