[lit-ideas] Löb Is All You Need

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 22:24:58 EDT

Geary writes:

>When you write "the Loeb", I assume you mean Henry Loeb
>[e: Brown] who was mayor of Memphis during the  Garbage >Strike ...

Well, no. James Loeb, the founder, in 1911, of the  Loeb Classical Library --
published in London for William Heinemann  Limited.

I'm appending below some notes I'm compiling for JL's  Swimming-Pool Library.

If you remember, someobody asked,

      "And what kind of books  do you keep in the Swimming Pool Library?

Now I'd reply, "Loeb books".

The sign "JLSSPL" that the title is in the possession  of JLS's Swimming Pool
Library.

You can join the SPL by bringing a Loeb volume. No  swim-wear required.

Cheers,

JL

J L Speranza,
The Swimming Pool Library
Estancia San Miguel, Campo.
Calle 58, No. 611
La Plata, Buenos Aires, B1900BPY
Argentina

* signifies

the volume is lacking in JLS’s “Swimming Pool Library”

There is an online version of the Loeb  Classical Library at _http://hup.com_
(http://hup.com)  I own rather  few titles, but am trying to get hold of most
of them. Some are in my priority  list (Apuleius, some Aristotle, one on
Eikona and Ekphrases, The Fall of Troy,  Plautus, etc.). Some sound
fascinating,
and pretty eccentric. All should teach a  lesson. I think possibly the Loeb
version of Plato (I own only volumes I, III,  and IV) and the Greek Anthology
(so
far I own volume IV only) are the greatest  achievements of the JLCL -- and
it keeps growing...