[lit-ideas] Re: Law as problem-solving with W3 content

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 07:52:43 +0100

Donal writes:

Legal materials may be difficult to follow, but when we understand a legal
problem it is rarely hard to explain (a) the character of the problem (b)
the character of possible solutions (c) the relative merits of the possible
solutions. In the light of (c) especially, we can better understand the
legal reasoning of courts which might otherwise seem opaque.
(snip)
1)   A ship is badly damaged by a fire. The insurers refuse to pay the
owners, claiming that the fire was started deliberately in a way that falls
outside the insurance cover. The owners sue the insurers under the contract
of insurance, seeking to prove that the fire started by accident as covered
by the insurance.

*Here one might ask what constitutes a 'legal problem' and how we come to
understanding it. A ship damaged by fire is not prima facie a  'legal
problem''. It is only when an insurance claim is made under the contract of
insurance, refused, and a legal suit is lodged that it becomes a 'legal
problem.' Understanding it as a legal problem would presumably involve an
understanding of how it is conteptualized in the pertinent legal system. If
such an understanding were not required or not important, one might wonder
why we are bringing this before a judge and not, say, before an engineer,
who would surely be better qualified to understand the technical side of
the case.

In this civil case, the judge must *as a matter of law* decide on “the
balance of probabilities”.

*First, 'the balance of probabilities' is by no means an 'innocent' term,
but one that has backgrounds in legal theory and practice. The
understanding of the concept of 'balance of probabilities' in UK law might
differ from the way it is understood in other fields, in other legal
systems, in common parlance etc. For instance, the court has to decide
whether or not something (is legally considered to have) happened or not.
Thus its decisions cannot be expressed in terms of percentages of
probability, as 'balance of probability' might be expressed in statistics.
It either happened or did not happen. If doubts persist, the notion of
'burden of proof' is employed to deal with the (legal) situation. It seems
also that UK courts hold an assumption that "the more serious the
allegation the less likely it is that the event occurred." Such an
assumption might not necessarily be shared by an engineer.

After hearing each version of how the fire started, the judge finds that
neither version is probable but that the insurer’s version is even less
probable than the ship owner’s.

Given this, should the judge *as a matter of law*:
(a)    Find for the ship-owners/plaintiffs?
(b)   Find for the insurers/defendants?
(c)    Find for neither?

*I don't know, but that is not surprizing since I am not a UK judge. The
judge is qualified to conteptualize the resulting legal situation in terms
of UK law, and thus to establish which of these legal solutions (if any)
would apply.

O.K.