[lit-ideas] "Language Is A Crock"

  • From: jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 10:07:56 EST

Sorry if this exceeds my third, but I couldn't contribute any yesterday and
 the mail accumulated.
I loved this reflection by Geary and may get back to it in due time. Mainly
 for him to tell me what he meant by 'crock'.

Cfr. 'hoot'. 'hootnanny'. "I don't give a hoot what the dictionary  says"
(Grice), "And that's where you make your big mistake". Did Austin mean  that
Grice should give a hoot? Language _is_ a crock, or would be a crock
without Grice who implicated it all masterly.

   There was once an Oxonian called Grice
   Who believed that all words had their price.
   If it's not the explicature,
   Then it's just the implicature
   Said this clever Oxonian called Grice.

JLS

In a message dated 1/14/2010 4:02:26 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

If you haven't got a nickel to your  name.
but you've got a dime and fifty billion  dollars,
you still don't have a nickel to your  name,
ergo, language is a crock.

Mike Geary
not taking any logical nickels
in Memphis