[lit-ideas] Re: Katrina and the French Heat Wave

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 15:14:07 -0700

Teemu bit:
> One was about failing to evacuate people and
>provide relief, the other about failing to check up on
>the elderly.

>Dodging responsibility is a common theme
though.

ck: Which makes me wonder what we Americans and Euros deem a government's
"responsibility."  An essential question, in this time of "nation-building"
and redefined democracies under neocon rule. Is it the government's
responsibility to check up on elderly folks, or is it the family's and
church's? But is a government charged with evacuating *healthy* people to
safety? Why? Some people have access to boats--or air conditioners, or
whatever they might need in a crisis. Others don't. Is it up to the
government to equalize disparities during a natural disaster--but not at all
times? Such simple questions define humanity.

It's voting day here. I'm off to cast my lot with Arnold's next adversary.
later,
Carol