[lit-ideas] Re: Katrina and the French Heat Wave

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 14:46:53 -0700

Eric pondered:
>both are classic examples of government failure, and I wonder why
>comparisons to the French Heat Wave were never brought up.

ck: Europeans aren't good at handling natural disasters primarily because
they aren't often called to do so, on their home turf. (Bring it on, Euros!)
Pompeii doesn't count. Loss of cultural artifacts from say, flooding, in
say,Venice, matter tremendously. But the heat wave in France killed mainly
elderly people, who do not matter in France any more than in the US. (Maybe
less--but that's too chilling to contemplate.)

Terrorism may be changing the euro govts' emergency preparedness responses,
but I haven't seen evidence of that from the Madrid bombing, French heat
wave, UK bombings (in the 90s).My impression is that Europe doesn't have
greatly effective plans for the likes of Katrina on the contininent, nor are
emergency plans for things like heat waves any more useful than what you get
in NYC--ie, open the fire hydrants and splash.

Curious, isn't it. We Americans hold our public officials responsible for
rescue (or not) from "acts of God." I'm not sure this is the case in other
countries. It seems not.

Carol,
filthy hot in a mere 95 degrees