[lit-ideas] Re: Joy and Satisfaction...

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 20:29:11 +0200

Oh.  And black currant jam is the most common jam.
From: "David Ritchie" 18 Aug 2008
I wonder if the Jam and Anchovies would be a good name for a pub?
Somebody responded to my thing about jam, which caused me to launch
into a slightly different rant concerning the proper ingredients,
"Jam, btw, should be made of raspberries, strawberries,
blackberries or apricots. Can't think of anything else suitable.
Only weird people like my wife consider eating jam made out of
grapes or gooseberries or martian anchovies." The reference to my
wife was hyperbole; she has a tendency to buy blends of
stuff--green tea and elderberries, with ginger (I'm making this
up, but you get the idea)-- try a spoonful and then declare a
moratorium on same. And I use the term "weird" with friendly
intent; we're all weird in someone's world view. As Firesign
Theater put it so well, "We're all bozos on *this* bus."

Where does orange marmalade stand in the 'most common jam' rating? (Why are all others 'jam' but orange 'marmalade'? The German 'Marmelade' [note the 2 'e's] has the same extension as the English 'jam'.)

In my humble yet well-informed opinion Wilkin & Sons 'Tawny' Orange Marmalade [Tiptree, Essex, UK] is unsurpassed (although I have before me an unopened jar of W & S's Organic Orange Marmalade which I have received as a gift). W & S has several other versions - including, I believe, one containing Cointreau - and I have sampled most.

My guess for 'most common' rating here in Germany would be: strawberry, orange, black currant, bramble, raspberry. (There must be a source for country-by-country statistics - anyone?)

In recent years several German companies have introduced strawberry- [other fruit or flavour] combinations as there are not enough strawberries grown here to meet the demand. (One year a local company made much of using 'quality' strawberries imported from Mexico - as if the reason were higher quality and not local shortage.)

I have not tasted a commercial strawberry jam that matches a good home- made batch. Here at the local market good bramble and black currant jams are also available.

I am just about to nip out to the local baker to purchase a Hamburger Franzbroetchen (a sort of cinnamon bun in the shape of a squashed croissant) for breakfast; perhaps I'll get a croissant and sample the organic [orange] marmalade, instead.

(Know Thyself. Probably I'll get both ....)

Chris Bruce
setting up the tea-making
and egg-boiling apparatuses, in
Kiel, Germany

PS: Why not 'Anne and Jamchovies' (for the pub name, that is)?

Good old Firesign Theater - thanks for reminding me. I always took 'this bus' (i.e., the one on which we are all bozos) to refer to the planet.

Ah - the sun has come out. I'll be breakfasting in the garden if you need me ....

- cb