[lit-ideas] Re: Is there a Sanity Clause?

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:49:19 EDT

You were much kinder to Santa than we were -- he only got cookies and  *milk*
from us.

Julie Krueger
(who wants to teach their children that Santa is a lush?)

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Is there a Sanity
Clause?  Date: 3/12/2007 3:40:49 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:

On Mar 12, 2007, at 10:58 AM, Paul Stone  wrote:

>> David Ritchie wrote:
>> > What a sad tale,  made more so by the "of course."
>
> Reading this reminds me of  something I've been grappling with for
> about 8 months  now.
>
> As well as the fact that Freelists keeps arbitrarily  kicking me off
> the list, another reason that I've been relatively  "quiet" in the past
> little while is that next month, I'm going to  become a father [for the
> first time] and, despite what women will  report, men also have a
> harder time during pregnancy -- something which  is HARDLY ever
> mentioned, and if it is, it's just a laugh between  women.

I don't see the need for competition here.  That fathers have  an
adjustment to go through doesn't have to mean we have a "harder" time
than women.  But I take your point that the adjustment is not much
acknowledged by the world that surrounds us.  You are in a liminal
state, about to come out the other side as a new being, a father.  I
wish you the best of luck.

> So I guess my question to the  group is: is it deprivation to let a kid
> grow up without this childish  nonsense? If it is... what exactly am I
> depriving him  of?

I'm not a softie like Geary.  I believe in discipline and  much of the
stuff that he says you don't need.  Further, I   believe in honesty, as
well as the value of magic and mystery.  So how  to deal with the Santa
Claus issue?  My, somewhat Jesuitical, solution  was to tell the girls
that the best thing to do would be to consider the  evidence before
them.  If presents arrived in the middle of the night  and if cookies
and brandy were gone, we all had a duty to figure out the  best
explanation we could.  I told them the truth--that I had gone to  bed
and that I hadn't heard anything after I fell asleep--but not the whole
truth.

I have found that honesty is generally best, and that children  are very
good at letting you know what level of truth they are ready  for.

David Ritchie,
Portland,  Oregon

http://www.aol.com.