[lit-ideas] Re: Inner Moral Law

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 18:09:10 -0400

Eric Yost wrote:

"One could imagine that a primitive moral stage (like an early stage of
child development) would have a moral law that states ..."

This is the same mistake Andy made.  The moral principle remains the
same, it is the application that varies.  With the principle 'Do not
harm the other', what will vary, among other things, is the extension of
'the other' but there will remain the moral understanding that doing
harm has a moral quality.  I think Eric's analogy is helpful, but only
if we understand that the application, not the principle, evolves.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON