[lit-ideas] Re: Inaugural Poetry

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 14:03:29 -0500

> http://timothy-green.org/blog/2009/01/yes-we-can-by-marvin-bell/

> > How do you feel after reading this?

Paul: I feel like I just read a really bad poem.

Not a really bad poem, just a poem that tries too hard. Bell has quite a few poems and also a good sense of humor. Several poets mention him in light verse because "Bell" is an easy rhyme most of the time.

How did I feel? Ehhh. Whitmanesque invocations of the whole country lost their oomph after last mid-century. Too much fragmentation. Too many Curly Howards with IPods furiously texting emoticons about TV shows. Too many subgroups and silly sub-tribes. What does it matter if Britney Spears says "Yes"?