[lit-ideas] Re: Inaugural Poetry

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 15:21:38 -0500

Donal: A general charge against this poem is that it is the US equivalent of the kind of propaganda-poem we associate with totalitarian regimes.

I associated it with those execrable poems you Brits coax from your poet Laureates to celebrate the Queen's bowel movements ("At last, at last ...") or the King's haircut ("Stalwart he sits beneath the glistening clippers...").

Alfred Austin was exhaustin' but Bob Southey merely lousy.

Where turnabout is fair play,
Eric