[lit-ideas] Imperium -- the Loeb Foundation

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 10:42:30 EST

I see they want us to believe that Greek for 'empire' is  autokratoria -- but
I find that too refined. "Imperare" is said to derive from  'im' + perare,
cf. pare, but I haven't been able to check that. So it seems  there's no word
for Greek 'empire', and perhaps they did NOT have it.

I note that German for empire is "Reich" -- which is cognate more with
'right', I believe.

I haven't yet found the Greek collocations for 'Empire';  the Roman ones are
well known, but not so easy to locate, I find. Here below,  quotes for the
"British" empire, which is the one the OED focuses on -- no  wonder.

Cheers,

JL
   Buenos Aires, Argentina.

[a. F. empire:L. imperium in same sense;  related to <NOBRre to command,
whence  <NOBRtor  EMPEROR.

British  Empire: the empire consisting of  Great Britain and the other
British possessions, dominions, and dependencies;  now replaced by the British
Commonwealth (see  COMMONWEALTH 4c). Cf. EMPIRE n. 5b.
1604  J. DEE Pet. to King,

God..make your Maiestie to be the most blessed and  Triumphant Monarch, that
euer this Brytish Empire, enioyed.

1768  GOLDSMITH  (title)

The present state of the British Empire in Europe,  America, Africa and Asia,
containing a concise account of our possessions in  every part of the globe,
[etc.].

1813 HECTOR  CAMPBELL (title) The Impending Ruin of the British Empire, its
Cause and Remedy  considered. 1884,  etc. [see COMMONWEALTH 4c].

1887  [see EMPIRE n. 5a].

1902  Encycl. Brit. XXXIII. 393/1 The  British Empire League and the Imperial
Trade Defence League endeavour to promote  inter-Imperial trade.