[lit-ideas] Re: Imperion hellenon, imperivm romanvm -- and beyond

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 07:52:05 -0800

Attributing motives is a tricky business.  I've never been very good at it -
at least not according to the people I've attributed motives to.   In Yost,
Eric's case you attributed snobbish motives to him and an assumption that he
thought you were stupid for not putting "anti" and "human" together in a
sensible way.  I attributed entirely different motives to him.   I happen to
know that he has been spending all his time on another listserv where an
anti-humanistic self-loathing environmentalist is dominating the
discussions.  I assumed that he peeked in to see what was going here, saw
"anti-humanism" and decided to look it up.  Then, since he went to the
trouble of looking it up he thought he would share the interesting results -
because he is kind.

Now, to your interesting comments on Zimmerman's book & review & beyond.  I
couldn't quite find what I was looking for in your beyond.  What Ferry and
Renaut had in mind in calling Freud, Nietzsche, and Marx anti-humanists was
their undermining of "the subject."   The Renaissance Man is the subject.
He is the decider.  He makes decisions and accomplishes things.  But Freud
chipped away at him.  No, RM you do not make decisions.  You only think you
do, but in actuality if is your Unconscious that makes your decisions.  You
may think you do things because you decide to do them, but you really don't.
Your Unconscious decides those things and you do the things it decides
because your are its creature.

In the case of Nietzsche, Ferry and Renaut focus more on his disciple
Foucault.  Nietzsche gets credit because Foucault wrote such things as "My
whole philosophical development was determined by my reading of Heidgger.
But I recognize that Nietzsche won out."   [Les Nouvelles litteraires, June
28-July 5, 1984, quoted on page 68 of Ferry & Renaut's French Philosophy of
the Sixties, An Essay on Antihumanism.]  Foucault wrote extensively on
prisons and insane asylums and saw them as tools of the dominant class for
subduing the non-conforming.  Thus, Foucault was anti-humaninstic in the
sense that he saw the "subjects" autonomy being severely restricted.  The RM
may start out thinking he can do and say anything he likes, but he can't.
If he crosses the bourgeois lines then he is incarcerated in prison or in a
mad-house,

I read Foucault's Madness and Civilization, a History of Insanity in the Age
of Reason in 1995 and only read Ferry & Ranaut in 2005; so I didn't consider
F&R's thesis when I read Foucault, but when I did read F&R their thesis
sounded right to me.  I read Nietzsche back in the 60s and am less clear on
his role.  I subsequently read articles about Nietzsche and perhaps a
biography subsequent to that.  His sister mucked around in his writings to
get them to support her adulation of Hitler, so one must tread lightly when
accusing him of such things as being a pre-Fascist, but he did deplore "the
last man."  Which isn't exactly anti-humanistic - more a denial of the
subject through some sort of natural degeneration.  He needs the ubermensche
to pep him up.

Now in the case of Marx, what F&R have in mind is his removal of the
Subject, the Man who decides things, and the substitution of Deterministic
Historical Forces which bring about events despite what the "subject"
fancies he is deciding and doing.  This seems rather clear.  If
Deterministic forces are causing events, then individuals aren't.  This is
similar to the old Calvinist/Arminian argument: Either God is Sovereign or
Man is.  Modern Christians who recoil at the idea of man being sovereign
invoke an antinomy, i.e., both things are true but we haven't God's ability
to see that.  Nevertheless we accept that both things are true.  Has anyone
invoked such an antinomy in the case of Marxism?  I haven't heard of one;
which would leave the deterministic historical forces sovereign.

Lawrence