[lit-ideas] "I'm Not A Foot-Ball Hero, But ..."

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:43:41 EST

"I wanted glory too.  I wanted to be as special as God.  So I
pursued it.  Let's hear it for the glory of Atlas!   Two,  four, six,
eight --  who do we appreciate -- yay At, yay Las, yay, yay  Atlas!!  They
didn't know my real name.  I was a 6th, 7th and 8th  grade Memphis Parochial
League football hero, I'm sure you've heard of  me.  I was covered in glory.
Me and God.  He because He is like  some kind of Super Hero, me because I was
stupid enough to risk injury just  to hear 8th grade girls shout: Yay, yay
Atlas.  Couldn't get enough of  that Atlas stuff.  Well, yes, I could.  I
went out for high school  football, tackled a guy who weighed over a hundred
pounds more than  me.  When I woke up, I was finished with glory.  What is
glory?"

                 J. M. Geary, "My Life as Lived"

----

Anyway, Grice thought that negative statements are _odd_. Never mind true  or
false. They are odd.

His example,

"He's not lighting a cigarette with a five-dollar bill"

Certainly true, but why would someone like to say anything like that? (WOW,
p. 5).

Ditto for the title of this post,

"I'm not a football hero"

The phrase sounded and resounded in me -- and the reason was I could not
understand
as I do now the line following that in the Cliff Edwards song available  at

_http://mfile3.akamai.com/14123/wm2/muze.download.akamai.com/2890/us/uswm2/_!/
100/120100_1_10.asx?auth=daEahcLb.cbardwdecYazbzcdcOdYbDafdn-bhyTEB-Ci-hfhce&a
ifp=1234&obj=v70126_
(http://mfile3.akamai.com/14123/wm2/muze.download.akamai.com/2890/us/uswm2/_!/100/120100_1_10.asx?auth=daEahcLb.cbardwdecYazbzcdcOdYbDa
fdn-bhyTEB-Ci-hfhce&aifp=1234&obj=v70126)

     "I'm not a football hero
      -- but I'M A BEAR IN A LADY'S BOUDOIR

-- and that's the title of the song. He keeps repeating that he is not a
football hero, and apparently the verse of the song also mentions in some
detail
how a football game
develops.

In any case

(i) I wonder if L. K. Helm believes that 'hero' as in 'football hero' is a
misuse of
the word? I think it is -- but most people don't speak Greek, so I'm
tolerant.

(ii) L. K. Helm once posted a three question, as I remember,  questionnaire
on glory. Perhaps Helm can provide, if he has the time, his own answers to
keep
the dialogue going.

So far, I think 4 people have intervened:

--- Geary, thinks Glory as applied to God, is a transubstantial
    There's also the conceptual philosophical  problem,
    where 'glory' relates to 'pleasure'.
    For Epicurus and Aristippus indeed, you cannot  have
    MORE PLEASURE. Either you enjoy something or you
    don't. There's no scale or quantity of pleasure. It's  not
    a 'degree' word. Ditto, I would think, for  'glory'.
    If the Greeks were right that 'kleos' was 'report'
    how can you get more of a report than another?

-- R. Paul thinks it's timE,
   timE. But then I purposively quoted from the  Liddell/Scott
   quoting Homer with the expresson,

            timE kai  kleos

   If Paul were right, this would mean, "glory and (more)  glory".
   A redundancy if ever there was one.

 -- I think, with Humpty Dumpty, it's a NICE knockdown
   argument.
   And there _is_ hope for glory.
   I once wrote an essay on this in Italian. A subsection
   went, "Is there hope for glory?"
   spes per un bello argumento contundente
   The meaning of 'argue' has to be understood _physically_

           as in

                 Tom had been 'arguing' with Jerry.

   Surely if Tom presents Jerry with a nice knockdown
   argument, there's glory for Tom

-- and then there's L. K. Helm who may elaborate
   on glory. Is this a Western-Civilisation thing?
   I wonder what's Hittite for 'glory'
   Odd that Gloria is a common name in Spanish America, but not  in the
masculine, "Glorio".

   On the other hand, nice Anglo-Saxon girls are called "Barbara"  but I
never met
   a "Barbarus" so far -- Other than Conan, maybe

Cheers,

JL