[lit-ideas] Re: "I'm Not A Foot-Ball Hero, But ..."

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 23:25:52 -0600

I'm admittedly out on a very long limb here, (a grammatical limb at the very
least) --

God's Glory, the Glory _of_ God -- depends to some extent on the case used
in the koine Greek -- is it genitive?  Nominative?  Ablative?  Locative?
How about the distinction among genitives of description, possession,
relation?

Is "glory" an attribute which humans can offer up to, or increase for,
deity(ies)?  Or an attribute inherent in deity(ies) recognizable to various
degrees by mortals?  An attribute given to the deity/ies, offered to the
deity/ies, received from the deity/ies...   Is glory something mortals offer
to deities, or something deities are which informs mortals?

I'd love to hear a bit of exposition on that notion from list-members far
more knowledgeable than I in the ways of linguistics and theology.

In the meantime, here's a little paragraph I have long loved (Hey --
pssst....Geary -- PLEASE tell me you've read the Book of Bebb!!  Dunno why
it's taken me this great long while ot think to ask.):

:Glory is to God what style is to an artist.  A paintingby Vermeer, a sonnet
by Donne, a Mozart aria -- each is so rich with the style of the one who
made it that to the connoisseur it couldn't have been made by anybody else,
and the effect is staggering.  The style of artists brings you as close to
the sound of their voices and the light in their eyes as it is possible to
get this side of actually shaking hands with them.