[lit-ideas] Re: I think I'll come back as a squirrel next time

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:24:19 -0700

  And along come squirrels, who don't care we exist, unlike say, dogs, who
love us dearly.  (Carol, note the word love.)

ck: You observe behavior in animals that looks, to you, like it's motivated
by certain human emotions. Then you declare that the animal in question
feels those emotions. I admit first thing that I have no idea what emotions
animals "feel," so I might say, for instance, that they "look
nervous"--look, not are. You believe that dogs "love us dearly." I
understand where you derive this impression, but whether dogs can or do
"love" humans, in our human terms, is not something I would declare as a
truth. But hey, go ahead and keep believing in doggy love, if that turns you
on. Sure seems you have problems eliciting that emotion from human females,
at least on this list.
Carol,
who prays that people don't "come back" and instead give new souls a chance.