[lit-ideas] Re: I think I'll come back as a squirrel next time

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:11:22 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Aug 28, 2004 5:24 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: I think I'll come back as a squirrel next time

  And along come squirrels, who don't care we exist, unlike say, dogs, who
love us dearly.  (Carol, note the word love.)

ck: You observe behavior in animals that looks, to you, like it's motivated
by certain human emotions. Then you declare that the animal in question
feels those emotions.

A.A.  If I have no right to declare an animal feels something, even if that
animal is behaving as if is it, then you have no right to declare it is not
feeling something.

CK: I admit first thing that I have no idea what emotions
animals "feel," so I might say, for instance, that they "look
nervous"--look, not are. You believe that dogs "love us dearly."

A.A. Obviously you never owned a dog and never experienced the joy it feels
when you come home, or the depressive behavior when their human is away.   If
that isn't love, tell me what is.

CK:  I understand where you derive this impression, but whether dogs can or do
"love" humans, in our human terms, is not something I would declare as a
truth. But hey, go ahead and keep believing in doggy love, if that turns you
on.

A.A.  Even with all evidence to the contrary from the dog's behavior, you
refuse to accept it as love.  You are one tough momma.  Do you need it to
present you with a Rolex to prove it loves you?  I will take your advice and
continue to believe in doggy love, along with a few billion other people.
Hey, I'll even coin the term, "Man's best friend."  Not "Carol's best friend",
just man's best friend.  What do you think?  Will it catch on?

CK: Sure seems you have problems eliciting that emotion from human females,
at least on this list.

A.A.  Okay, be that way.  Next time I have a spare Rolex, I'll keep it to
myself.

Carol,
who prays that people don't "come back" and instead give new souls a chance.

Andy
who, after experiencing Carol's posts, agrees