[lit-ideas] I didn't want to do it, I didn't want to do it

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 21:10:44 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 8/19/2012 6:08:12 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx writes:
People do what they want to do.  That's  what they do. Yep.

Call me Popperian, but I'm with McEvoy on this one that the above is
unverifiable (or unfalsifiable, as the case may be).

For Grice, 'want' has two implicatures:

"I want it" -- means one thing.

"The floor wants sweeping" -- means another. This is an implicatural
distinction: i.e. pragmatic, not semantic. The ones to blame are the Vikings
--who introduced 'want'. The English were happy using 'will' as in

"I willingly did it."

----

The point that Yost is using concepts in a neo-Kantian way should be
obvious when we see that to utter

"I did what I did not want to do."

is NOT contradictory. And that's not just lyrical (as per  below).
Cheers,

Speranza

---

You made me love you
I didn't want to do it, I didn't want to do  it
You made me love you
and all the time you knew it
I guess you always  knew it.
You made me happy sometimes, you made me glad
But there were  times, Dear, you made me feel so bad

You made me sigh for, I didn't want  to tell you
I didn't want to tell you
I want some love that's true, yes I  do, deed I do, you know I do

Give me, give me, give me what I cry  for
you know you got the brand of kisses that I'd die for
You know you  made me love you

"You Made Me Love You (I Didn't Want to Do It)" is a  popular song.
The music was written by James V. Monaco, the lyrics by Joseph  McCarthy.
The song was published in 1913. It was introduced in the Broadway  revue The
Honeymoon Express.
One of the earliest recordings of the song was  by Al Jolson. Jolson
recorded the song on June 4, 1913. It was released on  Columbia A-1374. He
performed it on the soundtrack of the 1946 film The Jolson  Story and recorded
it
on March 20, 1946. The record was released on Decca  23613.
Roger Edens wrote additional lyrics to the song for Judy Garland. The  new
lyrics cast Garland in the role of a teenage fan of Clark Gable. Garland
sang the song to Gable at a birthday party thrown for him by
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. MGM executives were so charmed by her rendition that she
and the song
were added to the film Broadway Melody of 1938. Garland recorded  the
"Gable" version on September 24, 1937. It was released on Decca 1463. MGM
released the song as a b-side in 1939, opposite Garland's recording of "Over
the
Rainbow" for The Wizard of Oz.[1]

[edit] Performances
Chelsea Krombach performed the song for her  debut album Look for the
Silver Lining.
Aretha Franklin recorded the song for  her album "The Electrifying Aretha
Franklin" (1962).
The melody was featured  prominently in the score for the 1943 Edward
Dmytryk movie "Tender Comrade"  starring Ginger Rogers and Robert Ryan.
The Four Freshmen included it on  their 1955 4 Freshmen and 5 Trombones
album.
Doris Day performed the song in  the 1955 Ruth Etting biographical film
Love Me or Leave Me.
Screamin Jay  Hawkins recorded the song for a single in 1957 "You Made Me
Love You" /  "Darling, Please Forgive Me" [OKeh 7084].
Country Music singer Patsy Cline  recorded the song and it was featured on
her 1962 album Sentimentally  Yours.
George Burns and some of the Muppets performed a humorous version of  this
song where Gonzo especially gets a kick out of the line "didn't want to do
it".
This song is featured in the Hoveround commercial being sung by  elders.
Harry James performed a well-known version of the song as a trumpet  solo,
issued in 1941 as the reverse side of 'A Sinner Kissed An Angel'. One of
the major hits of 1941, it is widely reported as a million-seller.
British  comedian Bernard Manning performed the song on side one of his
1975 album 'My  Kind of Music'.
Olivia Newton-John sings the song in the film Xanadu, as a  vocal on a
record presented as a Glenn Miller band performance. The song is  largely
background to Danny and Sonny talking, and does not appear on the film's
soundtrack album, but it does appear as the b-side of her single  "Suddenly"
This song was covered by Nate Fishback and the Easy Street Band in  Walt
Disney World on their 25th anniversary tour.
An outtake of the The  Beatles Anthology showed that it was originally to
be included in their movie  "Magical Mystery Tour"
This song was used in the commercials for Dylan  Montgomery's "1998 burnin'
Swedish Fish power tour" in Eastern Europe and also  played several times
by him and other artists.
Bette Midler, Marc Shaiman,  and Bruce Vilanch wrote new lyrics to Judy
Garland's version of the song for  Midler's appearance on the penultimate
episode of The Tonight Show Starring  Johnny Carson on May 21, 1992. Midler
performed the song as "You Made Me Watch  You," a tribute to Carson's 30 years
as
host.[2]
Mayim Bialik performed the  song on Blossom in the episode "Ruby" (Season
3, Episode 14, aired December 21,  1992).
Billy Crystal sings an altered version of this song on the first  episode
of the Tonight Show With Jay Leno.
Cookie Monster performed a  slightly re-written version of the song in a
Sesame Street insert, writing a  love letter to his favorite cookie.
This song is also mentioned in the book  "The five people you meet in
heaven" by Mitch Albom
This song is being played  by a band during a dance scene in Disney's 2005
film "The Greatest Game Ever  Played".
Kim Poirier sings the song in the movie Foodland as her character  Lucy
Eklund.[3]
Rufus Wainwright sings the song on his 2007 album, Rufus Does  Judy at
Carnegie Hall.
Harry Nilsson sings the song on his album A Little  Touch of Schmilsson in
the Night.
An instrumental version of the song plays  as source music from a radio in
the first scene of the 2009 movie "Coco Chanel  and Igor Stravinsky"
Barry Manilow covered the song on his 2010 collection,  The Greatest Love
Songs of All Time.
Sherie Rene Scott sings this in her one  woman show Everyday Rapture.
This song is sung by Jack Halford and Gerry  Standing in New Tricks.
This song is sung by Matt Doyle at the conclusion of  the film Private
Romeo (2011).
[edit] References
^ Edwards, Anne (1975).  Judy Garland. Simon and Schuster. ISBN 671802283
(paperback edition).
^  Shaiman, Marc. "Someone in a Tree: My View of Johnny Carson's Last
Night." The  Film Music Society. January 24, 2005.
^ [1][dead link]

Categories:
Songs with music by James V. Monaco
Songs with lyrics by Joseph  McCarthy