[lit-ideas] Re: The Three Grices

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 22:44:30 -0500

Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:
McCreery is right that perhaps a  survey of the best philosophical works
published in the first decade of the 21st  century would not be a bad idea.
1. I'm not even sure I understand works published in the first decade of the 20th century; sometimes I think I get why they are "important," but then the underlying questions evaporate into dull mist.

2. Any "list" is only as good as the purpose the list is meant to serve. There is no such thing as "best" books; it depends on what the book is trying to accomplish, whether that is worth accomplishing, what influence that successful book has had on a particular group, and whether that group is really all that important a group.

3. To make a HUGE leap, let me suggest some other books for another list entirely. My list is a list of philosophical books published in the 20th century that have had a great influence outside the British/American "analytic" graduate program philosophy departments.

Here's 5 books that might serve as a start of a very different kind of "list."

1. Revolt of the Masses, Ortega y Gasset
2. Philosophy (3 vol.) Karl Jaspers
3. The Mystery of Being Gabriel Marcel
4. Democracy and Education, John Dewey
5. The Primacy of Perception, Maurice Merleau-Ponty