[lit-ideas] Re: Huntington's thesis

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 06:55:44 -0800

Andreas,

You seem to be slowly moving into Fukuyama's camp.  You should read
Fukuyama.  I suspect you'd like him.  You'd probably love his latest book
which I disagreed with, America at the Crossroads.

There is no doubt that Huntington is a controversial figure - rather his
thesis is controversial (and also his thesis about immigration).  His book
is sort of like Spengler's Decline of the West.  Lots of people disagreed
with Spengler, but no one dealing with such matters could ignore him.
Huntington is a Political Scientist and I'm not sure what historians think
of him.  I do know that those who refer to him in Political Science journal
articles I've read treat him with respect.  The back of his book says,
"Samuel P. Huntington is the Albert J. Weatherhead III University Professor
at Harvard University, where he is also the director of the John M. Olin
Institute for Strategic Studies and the chairman of the Harvard Academy for
International and Area Studies.  He was the director of security planning
for the National Security Council in the Carter Administration, the founder
and coeditor of Foreign Policy, and the president of the American Political
Science Association.  He is the author of many books and scholarly articles.
Huntington lives in Boston, Massachusetts."

Lawrence