[lit-ideas] Re: Hume, Sweet Hume

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 14:48:00 +0900

Don't know what Andreas will say, but I will take a shot.
For those who seek absolute certainty, appealing to custom is bound to fail.
Custom is too varied to be an unfailing guide. There is, however, Edmund
Burke's observation that custom represents the accumulated learning of the
past and should not, thus, be casually discarded. The path of moderation is
to accept custom as a guide unless there are good reasons not to. These
reasons may be debatable but nonetheless superior to those they replace. The
two sides ("there are better ideas" and "no there aren't") are what are
generally called liberal and conservative positions in regard to the issue
at hand.

John

--
John McCreery