[lit-ideas] Human Deification: The Eschatology

  • From: jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 21:06:11 -0500

Hi Mike.

I'm sending this offlist to you and cc-ing the list. Teemu willing, it may make
it. (I have four other, I believe, which are previously dated, and which may
delay the posting of this, though)

I ask you to comment my posts onlist, only on a positive, affirmative,
constructive vein. Not for you to laugh at me, and worse, make McCreery laugh!
:). This list is constructive for humanity, and while I appreciate your
sincerity when you say that you know of air-conditioning science while I know
sh*t about the past, I still love you.

Anyway, keep commenting on my posts since I'm bored. The weather does not help,
and perhaps I should clean this swimming pool. Not that it's dirty, but I find
that many males derive pleasure out of cleaning things, e.g. cars.

I feel like a pariah (but not a pariah -- cfr. Helm, "Not all Greeks were like
the Greeks") by the treatment Andreas and Teemu. I suppose I should care less,
but I don't. They think my posts overwhelm the universe. They don't overwhelm
_me_ and I'm part of it! (Today, I discovered that "Pan", the Greek God, I
thought it meant "All", but it means "Feeder" (former spelling, Paen").

There are quite a few posts on cyberspace lit-ideas www (forget about the face
book) where I mention you (and other listers, such as Helm, etc.) You cannot be
SO BUSY as to (pretend to) ignore them. And even if you do, pretend you don't!

The fact that I'm four posts late is a bother, but there are worse things in
life. (And also nicer -- other ones).

I'm writing an essay, which Teemu may distribute one day (the first version was
already sent to the forum and so far undistributed) on Eschatology and Human
Deification, which is quite fun (for an essay). It's about the need,
eschatological, and transubstantial, in Grice's sense (see his "Philosophical
Eschatology and Plato's Republic", in Ways of Words) that humans, but not
apparently lower animals, have of deification. Evita Peron becomes Santa Evita,
Hyacinthos becomes San Jacinto (where Helm lives) and God knows what more Man
has thought worth deificating.

Human deification seems to me the ultimate source for philosophical wisdom, and
Grice is right in treating eschatology as the ultimate branch of Metempsychosis.

Hoping this find you well in the soropolis of Memphis (I've just cointed
soropolis, from daughter-city),

Cheers,

JL

? J. L. Speranza, F. R. S. (failed), etc.
??? Buenos Aires, Argentina
???????? -- where the Sky is Allways Blue.

http://webmail.aol.com