[lit-ideas] Re: How the West Could Lose

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 17:38:18 +0100

>The number of Communists in Russia was always small
>relative to the population.   Lenin advocated a "vanguard,"
>a small group of politically aware leaders who would guide
>the proletariat into a Communist workers paradise.   The
>Communists managed all they did with relatively small numbers

correct.  I think it important to distinguish between the Bolshevik cadres and
the later CPSU, still, it remained the case that the Party was a small
minority. I add
that it was also a minority that had been allowed to join, had been
vetted/screened.

>An indication of the population in a representative year is enough
>to show that the percentage of Communists in the Soviet Union was well below
>1%.

oh well choose your representative year.... by 1981 the CPSU comprised
10 per cent of the adult population of the USSR.  Also, of course, we
should not equate 'member of the CPSU' and 'Communist', many of those
who lamented the passing of Stalinism were not CPSU members.

>Not just anyone could join the Nazi Party:  You have to meet
> stringent requirements; which would perforce have kept the numbers down:

and (as I have said) the CPSU.  Yet you are happy to take Nazi and CPSU
party membership figures at face value.

>Lit-Ideas Leftists make light of the Islamofascist threat

it is precisely because there is a threat and there is a problem (in the
'West' and elsewhere) that the wild rantings of the people you cite should
be countered.   Were there no threat and were Muslims impervious to
insult, also, were there no Muslim-phobia, were there no mindless thugs
who beat up Muslims simply because they are Muslims,
we could laugh Pipes et al away.   But, not so.

Judy Evans, Cardiff