[lit-ideas] Re: How the West Could Lose

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 08:43:14 -0700

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02092007/postopinion/opedcolumnists/gen__petraeu
s_real_problem_opedcolumnists_amir_taheri.htm?page=3

Podhoretz quotes from this article in his World War IV, The Long Struggle
Against Islamofascism.  The following seems applicable to your comments,
Walter:

"With a combination of intelligence, patience and determination, Petraeus
can win in Baghdad," Amir Taheri wrote in February 2007.

"The battleground where his chances do not appear as good is Washington. The
United States today has become home to a veritable industry of defeat -
producing books, TV documentaries, research papers, intelligence analyses
and feature movies destined for a growing market. Almost every day, some
article assuming that the United States has already been defeated in Iraq,
and recommend measures to deal with the consequences of defeat. And when the
United States does something, it does it Big: The defeat industry is
assuming a bewildering scale."

Lawrence