[lit-ideas] Re: How Obscure Can He Get? (Was: Shakespeare's 'Patience on a Monument')

  • From: Michael Chase <goya@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:01:41 +0200

Le 17 sept. 04, =E0 17:58, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx a =E9crit :
<snip>

> Note the subtlety:
>

>     There's lots of stuff that is obscure in  Shakespeare
>     =20
>     Balderdash to Ritchie's argument that an emblem  book
>            depicting  Patienzia is _too_ obscure to
>            be  Shakespeare's source.
>
> ----
>
> Gist:
>
> What is obscure to Ritchie may not be obscure to Shakespeare? And that
> Ritchie is being overhasty in claiming something would be 'obscure' or=20=

> 'too
> obscure' for something to be a source in Shakespeare?

M.C. The latter, rather. I take Ritchie's argument to have been:

        a) If Shakespeare had used an image than alluded to an emblem =
book,=20
then
        b) such obscurity would not have been understood by the hoi =
polloi who=20
attended the Globe. But
        c) Shakespeare did not wish to fail be understood,

  Therefore
        d) Shakespeare did not intend such an allusion.

        I'm simply arguing that if

        A) it is *always* true that Shakespeare avoided obscure =
allusions, =20
then
        B) There would be no obscure allusions in Shakespeare. But

        C) There *are* obscure allusions in Shakespeare ("rather a lot,=20=

actually", as Eric Idle replied to John Cleese when asked how much rat=20=

there was in the strawberry tart). Therefore,
         ~ B. And therefore, by modus tollens,
------------------------
        ~A. But if ~A, then Shakespeare did not always avoid obscure=20
allusions. Therefore, there are occasions when Shakespeare did use=20
obscure allusions. And the case of sitting on a rock, clearly a=20
reference to the emblematic tradition, is one of them.

        Anyhow, that's how I think it goes.

        Best, Mike

Michael Chase
(goya@xxxxxxxxxxx)