[lit-ideas] How Democracies Perish

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 07:56:08 -0700

Irene,

Jean-Francois Revel had your point of view in mind when he wrote How
Democracies perish, 1983 (English edition 1985).  He described democracy as
"the first system in history which, confronted by a power that wants to
destroy it, accuses itself. . . .

"The distinctive mark of our century is the humility with which democratic
civilization agrees to disappear and works to legitimize the victory of its
mortal enemy.  That communism shall have been more clever and effective in
its offensive would only be one additional example of one power being a
better strategist than the other. . . . It is less natural and newer that
the targeted civilization should not only judge that its defeat is
justified, but provide its partisans as well as its adversaries with ample
reason to regard all forms of self-defense as immoral, or at best
superfluous and useless, if not downright dangerous."

These words were quoted in one of the obituaries I read.  Are they not still
applicable in our struggle against Militant Islam?

Revel had the Leftists in view when he wrote those words.  Since I am not a
Leftist I cannot get caught up in the angst you and Mike Geary display.  I
don't agree with it.  I don't blame the U.S.  I don't consider the Militant
Islamists as being morally equal to the U.S.  The idea that we should allow
a Rogue nation to have nuclear weapons because we have them strikes me as
suicidal madness.

Before you been frothing and rush to produce a list of things the U.S. has
done wrong,  all nations have made mistakes, but the U.S. has made fewer
than the others and the American motives are more benign than any of the
others.

As to your question about being King of the world, I don't believe in
Monarchies; so I can't imagine an answer to it.  Take it that I think
Liberal Democracy is the best form of government that has been developed in
the world and the U.S. the best exemplar.  There are a lot of things in our
society I am unhappy with - too many Leftists in it for example -- but not
so much that I would want to move to any other.

Lawrence

  _____