[lit-ideas] Re: Hernando Cortez, Evangelist

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 16:09:38 -0700

Let’s call it stupidly “sacrificing” to a god, which is what the Aztecs did.
Here God is what you want, a sacrifice, now tell us what we want to know, bless
our coming battle against the Spaniards, bless our crops, etc.  We are stupidly
using the definition of sacrifice.  Here is Bing:  “Full Definition of
SACRIFICE 1 : an act of offering to a deity something precious; especially :
the killing of a victim on an altar 2 : something offered in sacrifice ...”

One doesn’t call killing apostates a sacrifice, not because people are afraid
to quibble.  They aren’t; but because killing an apostate isn’t the same as
sacrifice.  One just doesn’t kill an apostate out of hand.  One first says, as
to the pregnant Somali lady, “Convert to Islam.  We’ll give you four days.  If
you don’t, we’ll kill you.”  Fundamentalist Islam can turn to their sacred
writings and find justification for killing apostates.  It is only “people of
the book” who can get away with not believing in Islam, but since no modern-day
Christian believes in the heretical view of Christianity that Mohammad declared
to be Christian “people of the book”, there are no modern-day Christian “people
of the book.”  Jews do qualify, however.

Lawrence