[lit-ideas] Re: Hernando Cortez, Evangelist

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 00:42:15 +0200

Well, I don't know about you but, if I had to choose between the two, I'd
rather be killed and eaten after death (if that part is even true), then
tortured for many days, forced to admit to things I probably didn't do, and
then burned alive at stake. The burnings of the supposed heretics were
performed by religious bodies, for religious reasons, and with public
ceremony, and as such bear all the marks of human sacrifice, unless one
wants to quibble with the terms, or worse to stupidly claim that, because
it wasn't officially called 'human sacrifice' it therefore wasn't. Most of
the people thus killed were probably not heretics either, but they were
forced to confess to being heretics by torture.

The Aztec human sacrifice was mainly performed on prisoners of war.

O.K.

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 12:23 AM, Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx