[lit-ideas] Re: H. Stuart Hughes

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 18:44:53 -0700

Thanks,

I occasionally encounter an author that strikes me as so good I want to read
everything they wrote.  Consciousness and Society "almost" put Hughes in
that category for me but I was turned off by what I read in Wikipedia.  Even
so I decided to try one more of his books.

Which authors do I have in this category?  In recent years I have
appreciated David Fromkin and Norman Davies.  From the past I had Harold
Bloom and some others I can't bring to mind at the moment.

In literature (among others) I have had Kafka, Thomas Hardy, Herman
Melville, and Henry James on it.  I may still try a story or two by Kafka
from time to time, but have an ongoing interest in the latter two.  I have
read Moby Dick, for example, several times.

Lawrence