[lit-ideas] Re: Grice's Colourless Green Ideas Sleep Furiously

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 17:17:16 +0200

Actually, the Wiki entry on Mary Pratt doesn't even mention any Gricean
influence, it mentions that she was influenced by the research of Vladimir
Labov. Any attempt to apply Grice's categories to literature, even to
literary dialogues, would have to go against his own statement that the
Co-Operative Maxims are suspended in 'fictions.' (And without the Maxims
you cannot have implicatures, either.)

O.K.