[lit-ideas] Re: Grice's Colourless Green Ideas Sleep Furiously

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 22:06:57 +0200

Well, I don't see much to disagree with here. I think that I was suggesting
that Popper was beating the Logical Positivists with their own stick, i.e.
by showing that the question about meaning that they were so concerned with
was every bit as much a metaphysical question as those that they were
disposed to dismiss as 'pseudo/issues.' The Logical positivist theory of
meaning doesn't make any sense anyway, for if we haven't got some
understanding of what a statement means then we cannot also say whether it
is 'verifiable' or not. On the other hand, Popper wasn't opposed to all
metaphysics, so I am not sure that he would necessarily dismiss any kind of
inquiry into meaning.

I have some other complaints about linguistic philosophy, but these aren't
necessarily linked to Popper so I will leave it for another post.

O.K.