[lit-ideas] Re: Griceian Egalitarianism

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 09:47:08 -0700

Now, now.  One mustn’t forget that there is nothing that can be said, written
or spoken that cannot be misunderstood by someone – often, many someones.

Having said that, I must add that I agreed with Donal’s previous note.  I
emphasized earlier “equality of opportunity” but held reservations as I did so.
 Since I didn’t have an engineering degree, those who did had opportunities
that were withheld from me until I proved myself in the ongoing engineering
meritocracy (sort of).  By the time I retired I had proved myself well enough,
but what if I had ambitions to become the CEO?  That opportunity was never open
to me.  One needed to have friends or family with important connections in
order to be in the running for that.  Attending one of the top universities
(which I did not) would also be useful.  There was also my “limitations”
(constellations of predispositions) among which was my having been born into a
blue-collar environment which tended to hold those willing to “compromise”
(think Sinclair Lewis’s Babbitt and Mainstreet) in order to “get ahead” in
contempt.

Moving over to JLS’s comments, I can see his point of view, but having
uncritically accepted Donal’s previous note I must say that I took “law” to
mean “local law,” the “law of the land.”  If I am forced to go to court I want
to be judged fairly and not be discriminated against because my opponent is
better connected, wealthier or from a higher social status.  I also thought of
recent cases where the President, as well as leaders of other European nations
were deemed not to be “above the law.”   Maybe the law is “a moving target”
which I take JLS to be saying, but whatever it happens to be at the time, we
all ought to be judged equally before it.

IMHO,

Lawrence