[lit-ideas] Re: Greek To Me

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 16:45:54 -0230

Quoting Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>:

snip

> preparing for the Great Northwest single malt tasting, in Boring, Oregon.

I fear that RP is once again pulling our leg or dropping his drawers, or
whatever you English-speaking people say in such circumstances. I sincerely
doubt that Boring, Oregon - I'd hate to be in the tourism trade out there - is
hosting any kind of single malt tasting since I have not received any
invitation from that part of the world to give a lecture at the Plenary
session. Nor has my comrade in food and drink, Alex McCall Smith.

On a tangential note (ouch), I am intrigued by the question of how Oregonians
go
about "preparing" for the Tasting. Does it involve particular techniques and
exercises preparing the tongue, nose and palate for maximal identification of
whiskey qualia? Deep breathing exercises? Would reading aloud a passage from a
philosopher maximize the senses and sensibilities? And if so, which
philosophers' writings would be most efficacious in facilitating the requisite
experiences?

Walter O.
Cragganmore Chair of Estery Philosophy
University of Edinburgh