[lit-ideas] Greek To Me

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 18:23:00 EDT

In a message dated 7/12/2009 6:14:59 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
karltrogge@xxxxxxxx writes:
demonstrate how key terms  such as
‘justice’, ‘fate’, & 'chance’ are by their very nature  subject to
ambiguity, reaching out to an essential principle inherent  in ancient
literature itself – the creation of multiple  meaning.

----

I'll try.

But you'll grant that Janny Parker is not a native speaker of Greek. So
what does SHE know?

'justice', fate, chance

are NOT greek Terms.

it's DIKE, MOIRA and KHAOS.

----

Plato noticed that some Greek words are _obscure_. He said the reason may
be the Egyptians or the Ethipopians or the Phoenicians -- who introduced
something Plato always found otiose: the alphabet --.

    (Cfr. Aristotle, Peri Hermeneias:  the word is the  sign of the
         mind, the idea is the sign  of the thing.
          And the written word  is the sign of the spoken word --
              but the written word is otiose)

----

Plato noticed that some Greek words then, are of "BARBARIC origin".

How many women do you know called "Moira"? Surely that adds to the
ambiguity of the Greek term --. But again, it's MONOSEMY which we mean here
rather
than 'ambiguity' proper.

What Grice denies is POLYSEMY.

Indeed Adam Kilgariff, who worked FOR YEARS for the Longman Dictionary --
and I corresponded with -- ended up with his

    "I don't believe in WORD SENSES!" (publication)

He went further than Grice and argues that

  "Fregean sense"

-- for this is what we are considering here -- alla Grice, googlebooks
Reply to Richards --.

is a chimaera.

For Kilgariff, the very IDEA of 'sense' is otiose.

His example, 'horse'.

In an earlier edition of the Longman the definition ran:

         horse.  1. a  quadruped mammal.  2. the representation of a horse.

"Surely that's otiose" Kilgariff notes. There's MONOSEMY at best, and
ZERO-SEMY, as I call it, at worst!

But thanks for the links.

Cheers,

JL Speranza