[lit-ideas] Gombrich Goes Popperian

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 20:58:31 -0400

In a message dated 9/12/2014 4:29:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes in "Re: consider": "Still waitg to hear where
Socrates suggests intentional wrong-doing is impossible or where Popper makes
an
anti-Cartesian point about connoiseurs. Ah, the silence."

I think Socratic ignorance and Socratic knowledge are difficult things to
discuss, in view that Socrates never wrote a word, and there are variable
accounts of what he thought or believed. There's Plato's Socrates, for
example.  But the idea that he who acts wrong does so because he does not KNOW
*seems* to  yield the claim that McEvoy is looking epigraphical evidence for.

As for the Popperian point on 'connoisseur', it might do to check
Gombrich's essay quoting from Popper. Both Gombrich and Popper were involved
with
the University of London, and I would think that whatever Gombrich learned
from Popper he did 'face to face', as it were. Gombrich seems to apply
Popper's  views on knowledge to HIS [i.e. Gombrich's] terrain: the theory of
art
and  connoisseurship in geneal, and seems to consider that the infallibility
of the  connoiseur's knowledge is somewhat overrated?

I should check a few more references.

Cheers,

Speranza