[lit-ideas] German Rap

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:18:05 -0400

Don't ask me why I'm carrying on about rap.  I hate the stuff, but it is what's
out there.  I did find a couple of links about German rap.
http://tinyurl.com/c5lnl
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,1633143,00.html
According to the NYT, rap hadn't been produced in Germany because "German rap
has traditionally ceded ground to imports from across the Atlantic. Though some
German hip-hop groups found success in the 1990's, German, unlike French and
English, is not a language that accommodates the genre, say some artists."  But
it is now apparently growing in both popularity and violence, and the reason
given is increasingly ghetto-like conditions in the immigrant communities.
German rap was also apparently the reverse of American rap in that German rap
started in the suburbs and went to the ghetto areas, while here it started in
the inner cities and spread to the suburbs.
My comments (for what they're worth):  Nazis were white, middle class, so race
can't be the reason, and the latest German rap has a neo-Nazi flavor, and
likewise Japanese violence didn't come out of poverty.  Also, even though
American rap started in the inner cities, once it hit the white suburbs, white
kids, especially boys, loved it, so clearly it appeals to something deeper than
skin color or financial status.
That's it on rap.  Didn't get much done today.  They wanted a war, they got a
war.  Probably for the same reason rap is so popular.  Have a nice night.