[lit-ideas] Russian Rap

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 18:24:49 -0400

I looked for some examples of Russian rap.  I found only one home grown video
made in NYC in 1994 and it's unbearably horrible, and that's understating it.
The rap style, the angry young black men from the inner city (now the angry
young white men from the suburbs), just doesn't translate into Russian, not
emigre Russian from NY anyway.  I don't know if it's any better over there, if
it exists at all.  It's possible that they simply import the American stuff in
English or else put a twist on it somehow.  I've seen clips of their rock on
television and it's the same as ours.  I've also heard rap in Spanish (from
cars driving by when I'm in the city) and it sounds like American rap, but I
don't know what Spanish rap looks like.  To the Germans on the list, does
Germany have German rap?  Is it anything like the American stuff?